The Project Management Office (PMO) is responsible for promoting and facilitating a disciplined approach to managing Laboratory projects with a focus on ensuring the quality of project deliverables and the overall performance of project management at the Berkeley Lab. The PMO utilizes the Berkeley Lab Earned Value Management System (EVMS) to promote optimal planning, accurate reporting, and effective controls through the standardization of processes used in project scope, schedule, and budget management.
The PMO is also responsible for coordinating the Project Management Advisory Board (PMAB) meetings. The PMAB provides observations, assistance, and recommendations related to successful project execution and completion to both project managers and their line management. Other areas of focus for the PMO include:
- Overseeing monthly project reporting requirements (quad charts) and coordinating periodic and ad-hoc project team meetings with the PMAB.
- Conveying periodic and ad-hoc project performance assessment information to the respective project management, its line management, and senior laboratory management as part of its project management assurance function.
- Identifying cross-cutting project concerns attributable to LBNL infrastructure or services and promote the resolution of such concerns.
- Providing Project Teams guidance in preparing to successfully complete DOE required phase gate or critical decisions (CD) reviews through the coordination of Director’s Reviews and coaching.
- Establishing training curricula where individual project management training requirements are determined by current and forecasted project assignments